Convocation

Friday, July 15, 2005

The past few days have been quite packed for me. So glad I can stay home and slack today. If I am so tired just by going out each day, I wonder how I'll survive when I start work. *shudders*

On Tuesday, I went down to my future office to get my contract signed. Finally settled all the administrative procedures and now all I have to do is sit and wait till 15 August when I officially step into the corporate world. Caught Initial D after that. Now I know what the fuss is all about. Jay Chou, Edison, Shawn Yue for the gals, fast cars for the guys. But then, don't you all think the whole show is just a super long Jay Chou MTV? Also, I think in the next few months, there will be an increase the number of road accidents as many people will be trying to drive like Jay Chou. Left hand on the stering wheel, right hand supporting the head and resting on the door. Tried it already. Ha. And being a right-hander, I can't control the car as well with the left hand. Nevertheless, I think the show was entertaining enough, though they really could have chosen a better looking female lead.

Wednesday. Convocation day. The ceremony was what I expected it to be: Boring. Just sat there waiting for my 3 seconds of fame on stage. The pro-chancellor for my session was Wee Cho Yaw. Unfortunately, I didn't get to shake his hand. With my surname being Lim, I was the 303rd person to go up on stage that morning and somewhere around the 200s, I think he started to get quite shack, so I think he asked someone to take over.

My main motive for going was to take pictures. After the ceremony, everyone was busy doing that. Or rather, most people were busy doing that. Others were, however, attacking the food at the reception upstairs, which I didn't even know existed. When I finally did find out that there was a reception, all the food was gone. Didn't get to take many pictures in the end because some people rushed off to take pictures with their family around the school (smtg which I don't seem to fathom), and others were just hidden in the sea of people. The main reason was because they split the whole graduating class from NBS were split into 3 sessions in the day. So I didn't get to see those in Biz, and those in Acc whose surnames start with T and onwards. Also, I was using the new Sony Cybershot. The camera is great, high res and huge screen and all. BUT, the images are blurred with the slightest movement when taking a picture. And when you get pple to take a picture for you, sometimes, they don't do it right and it doesn't come out well, while others just can't keep their hands steady. So I think when it comes to digital cameras, Canon is still the best.

Decided to ditch the traditional white shirt and go for a more unconventional purple one for the day.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Purple shirt, purple tie and to top it off, purple rubberbands on my braces. Ha. Wasn't really planned when I went to the dentist on Monday. But once I pulled on my shirt and tie and looked in the mirror, I realised it matched! Ok out of point.


Anyway, some of the pictures I took...

Me and Gavin. Smart joker who played in team NTU with me. Stuck my head behind his ass in scrums, while he sometimes cupped my ass in line-outs.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Me and Shuyi. I guess its out in the open now, so no harm saying that she is Mrs Gavin.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

My FYP mates (the guys) and one of the top brains in school, Xunwen.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Mahjong kakis.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Alex and his teddy bear, and me.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Gaohan the brain.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Travel mates less Gary who is a Tan.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The Goddess of Gamblers, mahjong slayer, self-pick demon, and round tummied ice-cream and chocolate monster.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is the only picture I took with the motar board on my head. You see that the girls are the ones with it on their heads because they pinned it to their hair.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

We just HAD to take this picture of throwing the motar boards. I think after this picture, I finally understood why it is called a motar board, and not a hat, nor a helmet, nor a cap etc. It is because, when you throw the damn thing up in the air, it comes down like a motar bomb, and when it hits your head, good luck to u.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I AM actually in this picture. Just that my face is blocked by a hand. It doesn't pay to be tall. In future, when pictures are taken, short ones behind please.

And finally, Gary Tan. Waited till the next session so I could take a picture with him before he went in. And in typical Gary-fashion, he came fashionably late.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

That night, we decided to go down to Zouk. Its been more than 4 months since I stepped in. I found that they reverted back to the old pricings where Phuture is a couple dollars more expensive than Zouk, thus pple entering through Zouk can't go into Phuture but not vice versa. Which is great cos I think that lessened the crowd in Phuture, though its still too packed. And once again, I derived no pleasure from the night out. I think I am really past it. Its time for a switch to a new environment that better suits me. Maybe next time it will be Velvet, or as Alex suggests, Balaclava, which does look quite happening from the outside. Gone are the times where dancing and trying to get drunk seemed like fun. I think now I just wanna sit down, have a drink and relax friends. Chill out, so to speak.

Thursday. Went to meet Josh to get my dive equipment. Will be going to Redang on Monday to dive. Decided to invest in my own equipment since I expect to be taking this up as a leisure activity in future. Spent quite a bit on a wet suit, mask, snorkel, fin, booties and sausage. Feel the pinch man. Think I am gonna go bankrupt before I even start work at the rate I'm going.

Josh brought me to his Dad's shop as well. His dad's place sells gifts and ornamental stuff. Their most popular items has been the 4-leaf clover collection for the past 2 years or so. As we all know, the 4-leaf clover is supposed to bring you luck. In the car, Josh was telling me how many of the people who bought the 4-leaf clover items came back to tell his dad that they struck 4-D or toto. There was even a woman who struck 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize 3 times each in 4-D. And many more testimonials. Well, I found it hard to believe actually.

Anyway, I went to his shop and on the way there, an insurance agent called me again to push her products. I shall go into this some other time, but if just for the record, I find insurance agents irritating. Anyway, I was on the phone, and I stepped into his dad's shop and decided to step back out to finish talking first before I could talk to Josh's dad. Then as I turned and walked back out, I notice something on the floor outside the shop. It was 2 folded $10 bills. WTF! Was what Josh said true?! So anyway, Josh showed me all the testimonials of the customers who struck 4-D and toto. They came back to the shop, took a photo with his dad and the shop and all. And it wasn't just 5 people. There was a STACK of A4 size testimonials, each with different people on it. It was probably about 20-30? Sounds too good to be true. Coincidence or does the legend really actually hold true? Anyway, I decided to use the $20 to get one of those 4-leaf clover stuff from the shop and also since Josh drove me around to get the cheap dive stuff, and also cos I hoped that maybe it would work against Huijing's mahjong prowess! So I got the handphone chain.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It costs $31 btw. Well, it is quite high for a handphone chain, but well, it has a reall 4-leaf clover in it. Not something you will find in Singapore. And since I found $20 outside his dad's shop, I should just "give it back". Well, about its mystical powers, I don't know if it exists, neither do I actually believe in it, but I did put it to a test. I played mahjong last night and I still lost. But then, Alex says, maybe it did help, it helped me lose less. *Deadpans*

Anyway, they didn't start selling this because of the superstition thing. They only started collecting testimonials when they realised there were quite a lot of people coming back to tell them about their winnings and introducing friends and all to them. Their shop is not in town or somewhere prominent, proves that the power of word of mouth is indeed a KSF to any successful business. Anyway, let's see if my luck changes.

Met up with my travel mates last night for dinner after getting my dive gear. Had a couple of hours to spare so I walked around Orchard. I deliberately went into Zara to check out the prices of the shirts I bought in Spain. I was pleased. Price in Singapore for their long-sleeved office shirts are $89.90 (though I thought it used to be $79, but oh well, all the better if its $89). Price I got mine in Spain: 29.90 euros, which works out to about $62 bucks or so. Heh. That's not all. Those I got on sale were 19.90 euros, although they are the previous season's collection, but still nice anyway. Talk about my shopping sprees when I talk about Spain next time.

However, I decided to walk into Kenneth Cole to just check out the belt prices too. Bought a KC belt from somewhere in Europe too (forgot where), and it was on sale. Got it for about SGD$50. Found that the belts here are twice the price. Ha. But then...went over to see the leather shoes and realised that the pair I bought before I left for my trip was on further reduction. Sigh.

After dinner with the guys, Alex, Huijing and I (eager to test my 4-leaf clover) adjourned to my place for mahjong. We picked up HJ's friend on the way since we're short of 1 ka. During mahjong, HJ's fren made a worrying revelation. She suddenly recalled an incident a while ago when she was on IRC. This guy came and tried to talk to her. Then he introduced himself as Jansen. Then he sent her pictures of HIMSELF. At that time, she already met me before cos we've played mj together a few times. So, she recognised the pictures this Jansen guy sent to her as ME. *STUNNED* I asked her how the photos looked like, and she said there was one where I was in a red T-shirt. So immediately I asked if I had gold hair. She said yes. Damn, it was my picture! Then she said, there was another he sent with me in the toilet. Damn, I knew that one too! The guy deinitely ripped them off my friendster profile. BLoody hell.

Then, she pressed him further for more details about himself, and he seemed to know stuff about me like I am from NBS and all, evidently he just took what ever minimal information he had from my friendster profile. As she pressed further, and asked if he was REALLY the person in the picture, he logged off. This is worrying. Someone using my picture to chat up gals! I don't even know a Jansen. Worst of all, he was on the NTU/NUS channel. Alex says someone is out to destroy me. Shuming (HJ's fren, the "victim") says someone is trying to sabo me. I say...he should not use such a ugly name as Jansen. Heh. Just kidding. But who ever goes onto IRC now? I always thought its dead. But this is serious. What if it was one of those guys who solicit sex on the Internet, and the girls are those who don't know me but see me in school or on the streets! OMG. IF anyone sends you my pictures, please get his number and arrange to meet him, and I will meet him personally.

AND...THOU SHALT NOT RIP ANY PICTURES FROM MY BLOG UNLESS AUTHORISED!



On a lighter note...You would think that girls are overwearing pink when you see this scene before you....

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

3 Girls, wearing a pink top and jeans in a row at a single ATM. There was actually another girl in pink top and jeans drawing money before I managed to whip out my camera, so that makes 4 girls in pink and jeans and withdrawing money from 1 single ATM at the 3rd floor of Wisma. Maybe its time to redo your wardrobe gals and guys(since guys are also into pink now)...pink is too IN to be IN in pink. So try why not try purple like me? Heh.

Ok enough for a day.



Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com