Europe Part 2

Friday, June 03, 2005

Firstly, I need to do this shout out....WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Why? That's because I just checked my email and I got the offer for that job I've been gunning for. Finally, a load off my mind! Haven't been able to sleep properly for the past 2 nights because I keep anticipating them to call me, so I keep waking up to check my hp for any miss calls (I'm 7 hours behind Singapore). Now at least I look forward to going home even though it means starting work earlier than I would have in KP.

Anyway, I've decided to record down whatever I've done here cause I forgot to bring a note book to note down where I've been and what I've done etc. Too bad if its boring. Ha.

After I finished the short post yesterday, I realised I forgot to mention some interesting events I encountered. Firstly, I saw a catfight. As in a gang of girls fighting. In the open on the main shopping street of Glasgow. Not the typical Lians but they were more like young punks. Guess the gals were probably at most 15/16 years old, but it was a bunch of them. This girl was screaming hysterically at this other girl. The hysterical girl was trying to punch/hit/whack/kick the 'victim' who stupidly stood there and let her lash at her. The other girls in the group were kinda like extras. Some were trying to separate the 2 girls or restrain the hysterical one (note that I could not make out WTF she was screaming. I dunno if its the heavy Scottish accent or she just sounded like a mad woman). The other gals in the group were just standing around, using eye power. I wanted to take a picture of the catfight, but I decided that it might not be wise, even though they are small gals, but then 10 on 1, I think I might lose still. ha. As I walked on, the screaming never stopped. A bunch of guys walking in the opposite direction, heard the screams and immediately knew it was a catfight (sounds like its common here), and they rushed down to watch. Ha. I looked back down the street. This time, the hysterical gal pulled the dumb 'victim' to a tree and started pulling her against it. Like trying to bang her against a tree (thin little stemmed tree which prolly could only hurt a girl), though it looked more like a feeble attempt which lacked any strength. Anyway, it was highly amusing. 500 metres away, I could still hear her screaming. I think at the end of the day, the one 'injured' would be the hysterical one, nursing her sore throat at home. Ha.

Next thing I was highly amused by is the Scottish accent. I think the Scots by far have the heaviest English accent. I can barely catch what they say at times. It just sounds like they're mumbling. But anyway, I've always loved the Scottish accent ever since Braveheart, and hearing Alex Ferguson talk. Interestingly, their conversations (those that I hear in eating places, bars, on the street or on the hp) are laced with numerous Focks. They don't pronounce it as Fuck, but Fock. What's funnier is how they say 'shit', which they pronounce as 'shite' (shy-te).

Just a thought that came to my mind...my friend Fock Ee Ling from JC is getting married. Same age as me and getting married already. Makes me feel old...what the fock.

Glasgow is unlike cities like Paris and Rome and London where its very touristy, with loads of famous tourist attractions and all. Somehow, this is the first time I find myself having nothing to see when I'm in a foreign land. But nevertheless, I'm enjoying the weather, walking around, eating, sleeping and just relaxing. No hussle and bustle of the usual travelling which I am anticipating once I meet up with the FAGs and the BAG, since the places we're headed for probably have loads to see. Although not a great place for tourists, I hear its great for students. My other friend, Zhi Hui, who's here on exchange tells me its super relaxed, exams are a piece of cake, discounts galore for students at many pubs and restaurants, and great nightlife. So, if you're into Medicine, Glasgow University is quite reknown, otherwise, Strathclyde Uni is also known for its Naval Architectural course. Both are city unis and the hostels are all in the city. Good international community of students as well.

Observation note: Haven't seen any hot Asian chicks here. Downside for us Asian guys coming here to study. Not too many hot Scottish chicks seen as well, yet. Downside for guys staying here.

Had a tea at a Scottish tea house today. I think I am not a tea person. Tried Cammomile tea and I didn't like it. I thought that since its one of the more popular ones, I couldn't go wrong. But somehow, I didn't seem to like it. Maybe its one of those acquired tastes. Tried Earl Grey before at Coffee Club and didn't take to it either. In contrast, the English love their English tea with scones and all. Think I shall just stick to my 'teh ping', green tea and bubble tea. I tried ginger bread too, just for the sake of getting into the English tea time mood. I'll show you my ginger bread pics when I can up load it. For now, I can't upload any since I didn't bring the cable along with me. Anyway I don't think public terminals allow pple to install hardware or save stuff on the harddisk either. Wait till I finish my memory cards, then I go burn into a CD, then can upload. For now, be patient 'hahaha'. Btw, do I know you hahaha?

Finished checking out most of the places of interests here already. Tomorrow I will be headed to Edinburgh for 2 days, of which 1 day will be spent in the exam hall with my dreaded CFA paper.

Random fact: My friend's Spanish flatmate is called Blanca. When I first heard the name, I only thought of the green creature in Street Fighter. When I saw Blanca, well, somehow I seemed to see some resemblance, especially with the frizzy hair. However, she's nice. She got me a mattress to save my back from the floor.

Random fact 2: Scottish slang for sleeping with someone, is Bonk. Eg. Alex went to a pub, met a chick, and bonked her that night.

Shall stop here. Guess its easier to write when you have pics to show. But then again, nothing exciting is happening yet. Feeling really laid back over here. I spend alot of time nua-ing as well.



Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com