Updates..

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Its been a while since I wrote something. Well, my school exams were over 2 weeks ago. Been kinda busy since then. Having dive lessons, interviews for my dream job which I hope I'll get, meeting up with the eurotrip guys, clearing out my hostel room, playing mahjong, and least of all studying for my CFA. On top of that, I don't have an internet connection to my own computer because I've yet to buy a network cable long enough so sitting down at the comp is not something I do at home, unlike in hall where I practically sit in front of the comp the whole day.

I've recently set a personal best for mahjong. I lost $100 in a night in 3 rounds playing 20/40. Amazing as it sounds, yes I did it. Courtesy of 2 paos max and further outflows of chips to big wins by wilSHEN and Huijing. $100...I wonder who can ever break my record man. Sounds more like the stakes were 50/1 or something. I don't know why I keep playing despite being raped by serial rapist Huijing all the time. Maybe I am just waiting for a day where it will become my turn to rape her over and over again. But for now, Teckie and I and Alex are all victims of her insatiable desire to suck us dry.

In other news, I've finally learnt how to breathe underwater. Although the lessons were just in a 2 metre deep pool, come monday I'll be heading to Tioman to find Nemo. Apart from getting screwed over by my female instructor, it was not bad so far. The instructor I got has a real attitude. First day I arrived late at 10am and the first thing she said to me was "You're late! Its supposed to start at 9am!". I said, "Oh sorry, but I thought its 930". She said "Even so, you're still late". I was like WTF?! I am paying to dive and not paying you to scold me. Nevermind, I tiam tiam. Then when getting ready the equipment, I dumped my fins on the floor. Dumped = dropped its rather than squat down to place it gently on the floor like its a vase. Then immediately she said to everyone, "guys, I hope you treat your equipment with care since you're renting it. Especially your fins, they can break also. There was one guy who broke the fins he rented by dropping it on the boat, and it was brand new even". While saying that, she stole a few menacing glances at me through the corner of her eye. I was like WTF!??! Nevermind, I tiam tiam. Then when I came home, I checked my email. There was an email from the dive centre reminding us of the lesson the next day. I read it and went WTF?!?!. This was part of what it said...

"Please remember that tomorrow's lesson is at 10am. We have a very serious problem of punctuality among the group of you. Some of you were even as late as 1 hour today."

Even when I got home, she wouldn't let it go. WTF!?!? I hope she gets poked in the ass by a swordfish one day.

Finally moved out of my hostel. Almost broke my back in the process. Shifting big heavy stuff down 3 levels. Thankfully Alex volunteer some help. He got his dad's company pickup and helped move all the bulky stuff home for me. Saved me the time, money and trouble renting a van or smtg. Furthermore, he helped a little with loading the pickup. And, as he said, I have a highly qualified driver, a Graduate Ahmad. The pickup is munual, and I haven't worked a stick since I got my license. Anyway, to reward him for his services, we had dinner at Fisherman's Village and I paid. Apart from the $20 jug of heiniken, the $50 hawker food was a rip off. Think the prices at fisherman's village is absurd. And it doesn't even taste that good. But oh well, rather than renting a van for the about the same amount, rather spend it on food and beer. Now that all the stuff is home, its just piled up at one corner. Gotta redesign and furnish my room now that I've returned home after 5 years of not staying home.

Just as I was almost resigned to entering the audit death knell, a lifeline was thrown at me out of the blue. Been interviewing for this job which seems like the perfect job for me. Never expected to get into the final round, but somehow it all just happened, and what started out as a go for fun thing became something which I really want. Getting this job will probably change my life in the future man. Well, but I guess if I don't get it, I can be proud of the fact that I'm the remaining 20 out of abt 1500 applicants from Singapore and China. They flew 10 China pple down here to stay in Mandarin for 3 nights btw. And added perks I had for the final round of 2 day interviews? 1 8 course dinner at Mandarin, and 1 lunch at the Top of the M. The revolving thing does make u dizzy. Ha.

Yesterday, I met up with the Eurotrip guys to change money and finalise our plans. I call ourselves, The FAGs with a BAG. This means: The Five Accountancy Graduates with a Biz Ad Graduate. Had the most embarassing time yesterday while changing money. Alex wanted to get the BEST exchange rates so we had to go down to Arab Street. Just nice, we were just opposite Zam Zams and I brought them there for the best mutarbak you can have in Singapore. They all agreed. Anyway, we changed like about 8000 worth of money. Suddenly we realised we were shortchanged. We suspected that the uncle hid $50 away secretly while we weren't looking and then told us we gave him $50 less. We argued with the uncle for like half an hour or something while trying to figure out whether he's trying to cheat us or we miscounted or something. We were certain we gave him the correct amount and he was indeed trying to cheat us. Finally, he wanted to close his shop cos it was way past his closing time already (becos of us). So he said he will go do his accounts and if he finds an extra $50, he'll call us. We had no choice but to accept it and accept the fact that we were cheated. Just as we were counting our euro currencies and about to leave, I asked Gary, "how much Swiss Francs did you change?" Gary said, "oh shit, I didn't give $100 for Swiss Francs yet. I just gave for the Euros I wanted to change." -_-
Wah liew, damn paiseh man. Had to say sorry to the uncles at the shop for accusing them of cheating us and holding them up and all. Bloody hell. Gary, future banker, making such a grave mistake. I forsee the headlines, "HSBC banker withholds cash negligently in forex trading payments, leading to billions in losses". And if you were wondering, if Gary din give $100, and we were $50 short, why is there an extra $50? Well, we figured that the only way for that to happen is for ALEX, who did the final count and handed over the money, gave him $50 less. ALEX, future auditor and potential trader/banker, make this kinda mistake. I forsee the headlines, "Auditor negligent in cash reconciliation causes Deloitte & Touche billions in legal fees".

Anyway, we'll be bringing a small set to Europe to help kill time and also maybe introduce the game to the Europeans. Ha. Word has it that Lady Jing plans to play a round before each meal/before getting the bill.

On a lighter note, its funny how people have been speculating about my love life. Friends, and family included. However, I'm sorry to declare that these are all groundless speculations. The recent months have been filled with relationship activitiy. Some have broken up while in 2 different countries, others have broken up after coming back from a country. Whats funny is that now the 2 separate individuals involved in those situations will be going to another country. Just pure coincidence and perfect timing maybe? On the other hand, some have gotten together, which has come as a shock to most people who were kept out of the loop. I still think that the exam period where people study together is the time when ALOT of people get involved or develop relationships. Proven time and again. However, in this camp, love activity has drawn a naught.

IN VIEW OF THE RECENT PUBLIC OUTRAGE OVER BLOGGERS BASHING GUYS/GIRLS OPENLY IN THEIR BLOGS, THE RISK AVERSE MINGMONGSTER HAS DECIDED THAT THIS PORTION OF THE POST BE DELETED IN CASE THE MINGMONGSTER HIMSELF GETS FEATURED ON THE NEWSPAPERS AS WELL.

HOWEVER, DIVE INSTRUCTOR BASHING HAS NOT CAUSED ANY DISSENT AMONG THE GENERAL POPULATION AND THUS MY DIVE INSTRUCTOR REMAINS BASHED ON THE MINGMONGSTER.

Ok, I think I've digressed immensely. Time to study a little. A $1500 investment is at stake.

Disclaimer: Nothing in this post is aimed at anyone, anything, any situation or any dive instuctor in particular. Don't sue me.





Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com