Europe

Thursday, June 02, 2005

This is the Mingmongster reporting live from Glasgow.

Day 1 of my trip was a gruelling 25 hour trip from Singapore to Glasgow. 13 hour flight to Heathrow, then I had to wait 10 hours for my domestic flight into Glasgow. There was an earlier flight but I decided not to risk missing the flight in case there was a jam on route to Stansted airport from Heathrow.

Anyway, the flight to Heathrow was surprisingly fast. I slept through most of it. Watched a movie too. Survived the whole ride without any puking though, which is most important. However, I had these 2 passengers beside me across the aisle who took off their shoes onboard. Bloody hell their feet smelt bad. In contrast, the 2 gals beside me were quiet gals who slept most of the way. Didn't disturb my sleep by going to the toilet either. Anyway, I also discovered this time that the other reason why I puke is because of the change in air pressure which somehow causes my stomach to produce alot of gas.

Spent my first pound once I stepped out of the immigration. 20 pounds for the bus to Stansted airport. Bloody hell. Got to Stansted at 930 am. Flight was at 450pm. Tried to change to an earlier flight but then it would have cost me a bomb. Decided to stick it out in the airport. Bought myself a breakfast of scrambled eggs, sausage, beans and toast for 6 pounds. Sigh. Everything in Britain is irritatingly expensive. Each time, the price looks reasonable. But then, you remember that you need to multiply it by 3.

Rotted the time away in the airport by trying to study for CFA. Disgustingly boring. Got hungry and went looking for the cheapest food I could get. Settled for a sandwich for 1.65 pounds and got a super deal of 2 bottles of coke for 1.29 pounds. ha. Had to get myself into the mood of the budget traveller. Anyhow, I finally reached Glasgow safely.

Today the weather is freezing, and on top of that, its raining. To make it worse, my friend decides to take me on a walk down Glasgow to West End, in the rain. As I am more prepared for the summer weather I am expecting as I go further south later on in the month, the thickest clothing I have with me is my windbreaker. Therefore, I had to battle the blistering cold as we walked in the rain. Best of all, she 'holland' while looking for this cheap and good italian place to have our lunch. Cold, hungry, wet and worst of all, wet in the shoes, we walked and walked. No map, and she decides to walk by instinct. Next time, I think I will have to bring a map and do the navigation.

Nothing much happening yet. Surprisingly not jet lagged. Sleeping on the hard floor last night seemed to be good enough to recover from that long journey here.

Anyhow, just signing in since I have the chance to. Will be back again.



Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com