Europe Part 3

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Now at Heathrow waiting for my flight to Brussels to meet the others. The past few days have been quite good. The last 2 days in Scotland were nice. Apart from the dreadful exam, I managed to get some good sights and pictures.

The exam was a snore. While everyone else was busy on their paper, I was stoning, wondering what to do. Well, I guess I don't expect to pass it considering how much effort I put in. But then again, maybe I will be lucky for once? Ha. How unlikely will that be. 240 MCQ questions. What are the chances that I will pass with guess work. Nil. On the other hand, if my surrounding neighbours did actually study hard for their exam and know their stuff, maybe I will pass. Ha. I wish I had better eyesight.

Went to Edinburgh to take the paper. Spent a night there. Its a much nicer city than Glasgow in terms of the touristy stuff. The old architectural buildings and the Edinburgh Castle are probably the main things to see. Glasgow on the other hand is more modern. Anyway 1 day was more than enough for me in Edinburgh.

The last day in Scotland was spent on the road. A Scottish guy I got to know through my friends there brought us around the area in his car. He is the most reckless driver I've ever met. More reckless than me even. He hit speeds of 150km/h on the highways. It could have been more even. Anyway, we went around Glasgow to the nearby towns. Went to Falkirk, Dundee, Stirling, and St Andrews.

Falkirk was for the Falkirk wheel. Some engineering wonder that connects 2 canals at different heights and carries boats from the lower canal to the higher one, and vice versa.

Stirling is the place made famous by Braveheart, where William Wallace defeated the strongest English army of his time with a small army of his own. Went to check out the William Wallace monument and realised that he must be the Scottish version of China's Guan Yu. He was supposedly bigger than the average person and wields a bloody long and heavy broadsword.

Dundee is a dump as my Scottish friend Gareth puts it. So nothing much there.

St Andrews is known prolly because Prince William studies there. Nothing much of the place since I am not a fan of Prince William, but its by the coast so the sea views were nice. I like scenery by the way, especially water and mountains and greenery. Did the stupidest thing ever. Went to swim in the freezing waters of the North Sea. What started out as noticing 2 gals and a guy stripping to jump into the water, ended up with me in the water too, in underwear. Gareth didn't wanna get in because he claimed he didn't have the 'right' underwear on. Wonder what that means. What kinda underwear do you need to swim in the sea?! Zhi Hui didn't want to either, cos he was chicken. Heh. Anyway, the water felt like zero degrees. In addition to that, it was already quite cold outside with the chilly sea breeze blowing and all. Lasted only 1 minute in the water. One of the girls was happily frolicking in the water, swimming around in her bikini top and panties (ah ma panties. Ha.). Must be cold blooded.

Whipped up a home cooked meal at Gareth's place for the last dinner. I cooked fried rice. Not bad for a first try at it, and it was good. At least to me and him only.

Got up early the next morning to take a plane back to London for the day. Didn't really know what to do there since I've already seen all the stuff there before just 2 years ago. So the only thing I wanted to do was catch a musical. And Les Mis was at the top of the list. Fortunately, I managed to get seats. Even better, I got front row seats for half price (student price). Which is about 20 pounds. Cheap. First time sitting soooo close to the stage. I was just behind the conductor. Initially I thought I got cheated cos it felt like I was in the front row of the cinema. But then when it started, I think it was good cos I could see the expressions on the actors. Normally, I sit somewhere in the middle of the stall for musicals and don't get to have such an upclose view. Think next time, nearer the stage the better. But, prolly not right in front. Sometimes can't see the action right at the back of the stage. Les Mis is excellent by the way. Probabaly the best musical I've seen so far. Nice songs, touching story.

Other than watching that at night, I just fast marched through London during the day to revisit some of the places again. No change since the last time. I actually typed an entry yesterday but the bloody computer shut down on me before I posted it. Highly pissed off.

London is probably the most cosmopolitan city in the world, since I've never been to the Big Apple yet, nor seen any other place that just reminds me of a United Colours of Benetton advertisement. One would think that racism in such a place would be minimal. As I was walking around, I walked past 2 guys. One of the guys pointed at me as he walked past me and said outloud, "hey! isn't that Bruce Lee?!" Na Bayyyy...What Bruce Lee. At least say Edison or Takeshi ma. Bruce Lee so ugly! Makes funny noises also. Heh. But anyway, that's not racism la. Just some moron trying to be funny.

Anyway, after walking for like 2 hours through London, I realised something.... My zip was open. Shit.

Alright, better stop. Internet at the airport is bloody ex. Just using up my loose change.

To end off, here's more Scottish lingo, courtesy of the nicest Scottish guy I know, Gareth. Actually, he is the only Scot I know.

Ming: Smelly. If you "ming", you stink.

Minger: Ugly. If you're a "minger", you're fugly. This I already knew because I have a T-shirt that says Minger in huge letters across the chest. Obviously my friends who bought it for me because its MINGer and might not have known what it meant. But then again, they might have known it described me.

Mong: Stupid. If you are a "mong", you're a dumbass.

Therefore,

Mingmong = Stupid, ugly and dumb.

Now Gareth doesn't seem so nice anymore. Btw, somehow I think he has a slight resemblance to the Smallville Clark Kent. Maybe its the hair.



Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com